Sunday, October 12, 2008

How to Be a Great Barbecue Chef


This good old boy from western Rowan County knows how to throw a barbecue. Everyone was quite impressed with his pork shoulders this weekend.

So - you want to be a great grill chef?

It's always nice to get a pat on the back when you take the time to make a meal - especially an outdoor meal on the grill. Face it. It does take a lot of work to put together a terrific cook out.

With this in mind, the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Assocation conducted a poll this fall. They asked a number of questions including, "What makes a great barbecue griller?" HPBA does surverys throughout the year, and they always send me an e newsletter. I really enjoy their questions and findings, and I'm glad they let me know what's going on in the barbecue world.

You can see an overview of the results and some of Grill Girl's thoughts on what people want from barbecue grillers. (Inside hint - I will tell you that guests especially love flexible outdoor cooks.)

Don't wait until you're perfect to have a cook out. You may never get around to doing one. Most of my barbecues turn out fabulous. I do remember one where nothing went right. I ordered in pizza. Everyone had a great time even if we didn't get to eat the grilled food which burned to a crisp while I was hanging clothes on the line. So, that's another tip - multitasking is not such a great idea if you want to be a wonderful barbecue griller.

No comments: