Friday, March 13, 2009

Are Your Ribs Tough - Remove the Membrane

Don't you just hate to spend the money on ribs, season them up, cook them for hours and then have tough meat?

One quick tip for having tender barbecue ribs is to remove the membrane. That's the shiny white coating on the bottom side of the ribs.

It would certainly be nice if the rib membrane was removed at the butcher shop, and you can ask for it to be removed (and pay more), but it's not difficult to do it yourself.

Basically you just get the membrane edge peeled up and then just keep easing the membrane away from the meat. It may or may not come off in one piece. If it breaks, just start a new peeling edge and keeping work toward the bottom of the rack.

For those you learn better by seeing a technique done, this You Tube video from the BBQ Pit Boys is quite helpful.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That video was perfect....it relly helped me with my ribs

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

very helpful..removing membrane from baby back ribs...i didnt even know you had to do that
this was great and informative

Anonymous said...

This was outstanding! I was already pretty proud of my ribs, but I had read that a better way of doing ribs was to remove the membrane but didn't know the technique. So simple, now the 2 slabs are rubbed and waiting for tomorrow!! Thanks.!!
Bruce from Halifax.

Anonymous said...

great video, and great website. I absolutely LOVE your grilling site, we grill almost every night at my house, and this website makes me a hero every single time because Im now an expert griller. THANKYOU!