Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Carolina Cook Out Selected for the Food Buzz 24/24/24


Some Family and Friends at a Cook Out Last Year

I was really surprised to be selected for a Food Buzz 24/24/24. Now, you may be wondering what the heck that is. OK. I would too if I wasn't a member of Food Buzz which is kind of a FaceBook for foodies with members having food blogs. You can see Food Buzz over to the right here on the site. I have a badge about being a featured publisher.

The idea is that each month Food Buzz coordinates 24 chefs (although I consider myself a down home griller) with 24 meals (mine is Carolina Cook Out) in 24 hours. Since it's international, it does take 24 hours. Trust me. I lived in Greece and Japan. The sun rises and sets at very different times. Calling home was a juggling act back then.

My idea was to grill down next to the Yadkin River at the Bull Hole as it's called locally but listed as River Park in Cooleemee. It's one of the prettiest places I've seen. There's a dam that helped power the mills back before those went under here in the United States. As a teen, I'd go down there when it was probably not legal. Now, they have made that into a park. It's still rustic which I like. And, I think it will be a great place for a grill out.

As far as the grill menu, I want to feature as many local products as possible. We have some great foods and businesses around here. The whole idea is to share our various cities, towns, or villages around the globe, so I hope I do our area proud.

My head is kind of spinning in thinking about all the details. The main thing I hope is that it does not rain. That would be a bummer. They have a very nice shelter at the Bull Hole, but it was rented for the one day I needed it. Isn't that just the way things go. But, OK. I will do the no rain dance.

On the menu, I know we will have Joel Burgers. My friend Greta and her husband Joel are coming in from Asheboro to make those. They are burgers on North Carolina sour dough bread with homemade pimento cheese on top. Yum. I'm thinking also chicken and hot dogs. For sides, Wetmore's farm has great local produce. Frank Corriher sausage will be super in baked beans (actually grilled beans in the CADAC grill wok top - cool little camp grill). Cheerwine is home based right here in our county, so I know what the drinks will be.

If anyone has other ideas, please feel free to leave notes. I have a little over a week to get this all together. I think it's going to be loads of fun.

Check back for full coverage!

No comments: