Monday, March 26, 2012

Weber's Smoke Book - Ready to Make the Leap to Low and Slow?

Weber Smoking Cookbook

Here's the book I wish I'd had when I was learning how to smoke - Weber's Smoke Book: A Guide to Smoke Cooking for Everyone and Every Grill by Jamie Purviance.

Kim got in touch to let me know this new Weber outdoor cookbook was out and to see if I'd like to review it. Even though I'm solid on smokers, I always enjoy seeing the new grilling and smoking books on the market. I especially enjoy the Weber books, since I've loved every one so far and often end up buying copies for holiday gifts for friends and family.

The nice thing about the Weber line of cookbooks is that they are combination how-to and recipe books. Weber's Smoke is no exception. You get detailed directions with photos like below.


Easy How To Directions for All Smoker Types and Even Gas Grills

If you're familiar with smokers, you'll know this is the Weber Smokey Mountain (a bullet water smoker). If you have another kind of smoker or even want to smoke on any kind of gas grill, there are similar guides at the front of the book. So, this really is an outdoor cookbook for anyone who wants to smoke and not just for those with Weber Bullets (although I recommend Weber's and have both the 18 and 22 inch models - but also some other smoker types as well).

Outdoor smoking is low and slow versus grilling which is high heat and fast. You want to do your burgers and steaks quick (although you can smoke them), but larger cuts of meats like pork shoulders, ribs, and turkey need more time and lower temperatures. You learn how to do these classic smoker foods in Weber's Smoke and also Beer Can Chicken which is a family favorite around here.

Yes. The Neighbors Do Look When We Do This.

See. There she sits. Add the rub recipe from the book and the mesquite chips as suggested, and you have one fine bird for dinner.

If you do smoke already, you'll still find plenty of ideas and recipes in this smoker cookbook to keep you busy for quite a long time. You have red meats, poultry, and pork which are common on the smoker but also seafood and vegetables.

The guys are wanting me to try out the shrimp tacos. They were down in Florida recently and got excited about seafood tacos. So, that's a project coming up soon, and I have all the directions right at my fingertips.

The younger son is hoping I don't do the smoked artichokes, but I know I'd love them. He just thinks artichokes are too much work (for a small bite) and not all that yummy. Maybe he'll grow into them especially if he tries smoked ones.


The Guys Are Wanting to Try Out These Delicious Looking Smoked Shrimp Tacos

Also on my bucket list is the jerky. I've been planning to make jerky for years now, but I just never get around to it. That may be because I can buy super jerky from Janie at House of Jerky. Still, I want to, at least once, turn out a big batch of home smoked jerky. The Peppery Beef Jerky looks like just the ticket. Maybe I can make my jerky to celebrate finishing up the semester.

Sitting Here Wanting Some Homemade Beef Jerky

On second thought, I may have to fire up the smoker and make that jerky sooner. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it and looking at the picture.

Smoked Rosemary Pork Rib Roast from Weber's Smoke Cookbook

This latest Weber cookbook is definately a thumbs up. It has easy and clear directions. It's perfect for Weber grillers but also for those who smoke with other brands and types of smokers (or even grills).

I'm sure you'll love the smoked spiced nuts in this cookbook, the slow smoked trout, and the pork rib roast you see above. That's just a few. Weber's Smoke spans from appetizers to Garlic Spoon Bread.

If you're looking for a solid and fun smoking book, this is a good one.

Now - off to fire up the smoker.

1 comment:

Chris said...

That is such a great concept for a book!

I so often hear "yeah, but I don't have a smoker" comments from people when they don't realize that they do.