Monday, June 21, 2010

Greek Grilled Burgers - Stand Out Burgers on the Barbecue Grill

Grilled Greek Burger


It was a Greek burger night here. OK. Grilled hamburgers aren't traditionally Greek, but I took flavors from when I lived in Greece to make a Greek inspired grilled hamburger.



First, I hand patted the hamburgers which does make a big difference, and I added about 1/4 cup of feta cheese right in the meat as I was mixing and patting. You can use ground lamb which is more traditionally Greek, but we only had ground beef or turkey here.

For five burgers here, I had about 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef. Quarter pound in 80/20 (lean to fat ratio) tends to shrink and be a little skimpy, but a full 1/2 pound burger is more than I can handle.

The Garlic Gold company just sent me a bottle of their new Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette to check out. It's perfect for salads, but it also makes a wonderful marinade for the burgers on the grill.
So, these burgers were marinated with Garlic Gold Vinaigrette and then also sprinkled with Garlic Gold Nuggets. Those are the little dots you see on the hamburgers. I go fairly light but add more on mine at the table, since I am a big garlic fan.



Sticking with the Greek theme for these grilled burgers, I used tomato and cucumber which would be what they serve in salads in Greece. Lettuce is rare, but I did add some, since I like lettuce on hamburgers. Then, the topping is tzatziki which is a Greek condiment with yogurt and cucumber.

You can, of course, switch up with what you like on burgers. The stand out flavors here were the Garlic Gold Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette used as a marinade and the Garlic Gold sprinkles for flavor. These are products that I have found to be really fabulous.

Be sure to also check out my Greek potatoes on the grill with Garlic Gold. Those went over so well that they are my "grill these often" list. One of my buddies at Grillers Index saw them this week and made them, and he thought they rocked too. It's just hard to beat Greek potatoes especially on the grill with a little smoke flavor.





No comments: