Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chopped Pork BBQ Sandwich with Sam Dog Mustard Barbecue Sauce



I heated up some North Carolina pork barbecue today for lunch and then took a look at my sauces. Since I had our traditional NC vinegar based sauce yesterday, I thought I'd do something different today and change it up.

Greg of Sam Dog BBQ had sent me some of his mustard based sauce or also called yellow barbecue sauce. If you know much about east coast barbecue, you'll know that's a South Carolina sauce (or pretty much so).

Folks get really touchy about their styles of smoking pork and the sauces here in the Carolinas and that can be just from one county to the next. You want to get folks heated up around here, then talk about religion, politics, or barbecue.

Anyway, I moved here at age 4 which means I am not a REAL North Carolinian. I think that takes 3 or 4 generations minimum, so I'm all over the map on barbecue and love a lot of it. Not all. Now, some of that stuff is just plain bad. But, that's another story for another day.

Anyway, I've tried Sam Dog mustard based barbecue sauce on chicken and pork chops and loved it. So, I had it on our local signature barbecue sandwich, and it was a hit again. Sam Dog is my top pick for mustard based barbecue - really fabulous.

I hate to tell you though that it is not on the market just yet. I've just had some of the home canned. But, I will ya'll know when it goes up to buy, because it is sure a taste treat. And, that's coming from a Carolina girl (if still a transplant 43 years).



If you're a little confused on our sauces and what is done where, then don't feel bad. It is complicated. My brother made this map. It gives you a general idea of how the states break down as far as the types of barbecue sauces.

Update - Great news! Sam Dog Mustard sauce in now on the market - October 2010. Congrats!

1 comment:

Wilfred Reinke aka @OshawaOgre said...

I can not speak to what sauce is liked where and the politics behind it but I do know when something tastes great. I have also had a jar of the home brewed Yellow Dog Mustard Sauce, and I enjoy it immensely!

I have used it on my Bacon Bomb http://oshawalaser.com/Blog/2010/06/21/bacon-of-mass-destruction-the-bacon-bomb/

(hope the link is ok)

Sam Dog BBQ is a rising star in the suace world.