Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cajun seasoned Bison burgers with Blue cheese

Grilled Bison Burgers

 

Enjoy delicious grilled bison burgers with Gary House of Cooking Outdoors to start off your summer right.

Gary wrote my first guest chef blog here at Barbecue Master, and he is also one of the first outdoor bloggers I stumbled across online. I loved his site right off the bat and signed up for email alerts. I'm glad I did, because Gary has terrific recipes, he explains them so that they turn out when I grill them at home, he has beautiful photos, and well . . . he's just an all round great guy and grilling friend.

Thanks for the recipe Gary and for being my first ever outdoor cooking guest blogger.

Grilling with Gary House

Did you know that bison meat is lower in fat and cholesterol than beef?

Bison has less fat than Turkey and Chicken with the skin removed or even most fish. They spend their lives grazing on natural grasses. Antibiotics, Steroids or Growth Hormones are never used in the Bison industry and Bison meat has a rich, beef-like taste.

Bison or Buffalo, once virtually extinct has now risen back to prominence as a sustainable food source. There are approximately 500,000 bison in captive commercial populations (mostly plains bison) on about 4,000 privately owned ranches.

My recipe today comes from inspiration I received while having lunch with a good friend of mine, Barry “CB” Martin of “Sizzle on the Grill” fame. Last year we were both at a food blogger's convention and took a minute to sneak out to grab a hamburger at a local restaurant. I can't for the life of me remember the restaurant, but the hamburger that I had, seasoned with Cajun spices and topped with blue cheese has stuck with me ever sense!

Making this burger with Bison meat was something I had been wanting to try for quite a while. Bison meat is not cheap compared to ground beef, turkey, pork or chicken. It runs in the neighborhood of eight dollars per pound at one of the stores I shop in. Bison meat is so rich that there was absolutely no need to add any sauces, seasonings or flavoring when I mixed the bison meet up to form patties.

Bison Meat is Expensive but Rich and Great for Burgers

To me a burger, whether it be a hamburger or a bison burger must have additional toppings. This bison burger was no exception, beautiful grilled red onion rings accompanied by bison burger with slices of tomato and lettuce. All of this was inserted between two halves of sourdough sandwich buns. I bison burger was so juicy that I chose not to apply any additional BBQ sauce, mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup or whatever spread you may choose to apply to your normal burger.

Ingredients

  • 1 pd Bison meat
  • Cajun seasoning
  • crumbled blue cheese
  • red onion slices
  • sourdough French roll
  • lettuce, tomato and any other goodies you'd like to add
Preparation:

I simply took my 1 pound of Bison meat and gently formed it into two rectangular patties, generously sprinkled both sides with Cajun spices and placed them over direct heat On my preheated grill. I prefer mine cooked to medium well and this took approximately 10 minutes at 350° F.

Form and Season Your Bison Burgers

About 2 to 3 minutes before your Bison burger is completely cooked you'll want to top it off with blue cheese. Yep, you heard me right, blue cheese. There's something about this combination of Cajun spices, meat, and blue cheese that is just over the top!

Sprinkle Blue Cheese on Burgers

For my onions, grilled red onions that is, I simply sliced 3/8 inch slices and applied olive oil to both sides and grilled them at the same time. Of course they only took about five minutes to grill.

Toast up your bun, assemble your goodies and build one of the best burgers you ever had.

Enjoy a Hot and Flavorful Grilled Bison Burger

I hope you can handle a half a pound of Bison burger with all the fixes, sure to leave you rubbing your belly trying to figure out how you can get that other half pound down.

Until next time…

Gary House - the ”Outdoor Cook

3 comments:

Rock Kitaro said...

Nice!!! I'll have to try this! Some Bison!!!

Outdoor Kitchen said...

Hi...Your post really got me thinking..... an intelligent piece ,I must say.

lemon said...

oh.... i will try this charcoal grill meat and hamburger