Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Pineapple on the Grill



Most fruits are too fragile for grilling. Pineapple is an exception and quite a treat when hit with a little fire.

For some reason, people seem to be afraid of fresh pineapple. OK. Yes. A pineapple does look like some sort of torture device with those spines. But, they are much sweeter than indicated by the cover.

As you can see in the picture, I found the perfect "opener" for pineapples. I hit them with an electric knife. And, you thought those were just for turkeys. Nope. Work just great on pineapples too. You can always use a knife too. It's not a big deal.

Once you have the pineapple cut in chunks as above, brush melted butter with some sugar on the pineapple. I usually melt the butter and sugar on the stove, but it can go to the side on the grill. Seasoning taste good on the pineapple too. You can with things like cinnamon or even hot spicy seasonings.

If you're a shortcut kind of person (love you guys too), then you can buy canned pineapple. Rings can be grilled just like the fresh slices, and they are really yummy on grilled hamburgers. Actually, it's not cheating. I go with canned rings if I'm doing Hawaiian burgers, so don't feel a bit bad about buying a can and jazzing up my burgers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in Sri Lanka, locals will eat pineapple (only ever fresh - anything else is unheard of) dipped in sweetened condensed milk or dipped in salt and red chilli pepper powder. I've tried both, and they're both surprisingly good. :)

CA said...

Yum. That sounds good. Will have to try it. I'm guessing that's cold and not heated on the grill though probably would work on the grill too.

Anonymous said...

Yes, cold and uncooked.

I've also had oranges with salt, and was told by my mil that she likes it also with salt and pepper. Mangoes are similarly sometimes eaten with salt and pepper, but then, unripe mangoes are also cooked into a curry. :D Oh! And watermelon with salt and red chillie pepper powder (and no, I'm not misspelling "chillie" - it has about six acceptable speelings here.)

People here treat their food way way way different than I'm familiar with. And that's half the fun! :)

CA said...

LOL on Chillie. I like variations on spelling as I learned to read with phonetics and tend to spell that way. Spell check catches most of those.

I lived in Greece and Japan (military). I learned to roll with the local flow. I'd eat most anything -- once at least. I'm still game to try new stuff. Most times I like what I try.

Brad said...

This is just what I wanted to see. Thanks for the great blog. 4th of July is going to taste great!

Unknown said...

Wow. Never thought that I can combine two of my favorites. Pineapple and grilling. I can't wait to try this on my barbecue grill. :)

Peyton said...

Never considered grilling without peeling. Going to experiment with this. May try this for holidays.