Sunday, February 10, 2008

How To Tips - Grill Corn on the Cob - Two Ways - Both Easy



Most folks love fresh corn on the cob and especially grilled. I know it's one of my boys' top picks for barbecue side dishes.



There are two ways to do corn on the grill. One way is in tin foil and the other in the husks. Both are delicious - just different.

Corn on the Cob in Aluminum Foil

First shuck the corn. Lay it on a piece of tin foil. It's really good if you add butter. Sprinkle cheese in the shake can and seasonings can also be added. Then wrap the corn up in the foil.

It depends on how hot your grill is, but I usually run about 20 minutes on aluminum foil corn. I roll it every 5 minutes or so. To double check, just use a fork and stick it in through the aluminum foil. The fork slides in easily when the corn is ready.

Grilled Corn on the Cob in the Husks


This is my favorite way to grill corn on the cob. It's so easy.

Put the corn with the husks on in water. This can be in the sink or a cooler. Let the corn with husks soak submerged in water for 20 minutes or more.

Put the corn on the grill with the husks on. Turn them every little bit. With the heat level I use, the corn runs close 30 minutes to be done, since the water keeps it cooler starting out.

The great thing here is that when you pull off the husks, the corn strings or tassels just fall right off. That means no work other than soaking and tossing on the grill.


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks!!!

CA said...

Glad to help out. I come from corn country. Well, most of it here is lifestock feeder corn (-: Gotta love corn on the cob. Yum. And grilled - extra yum.

Oval said...

BAh! There is only one way to grill corn and it doesn't involve tin foil or the husks! ;-)~

Unknown said...

Woot, love the site. Just got my 3 tier grill. I will be here alot. :)

frank said...

Oval, do you go to other places and leave negative comments too? Sorry, I hate non productive comments.

Paul said...

Awesome! i grew up eating Corn on the cob alot, today i found myself with a bag of corn from my sister in-laws farm and no one to help me cook it, wound up deeelish!

Anonymous said...

I used the tin-foil method and added a generous squish of lime juice (breaks down the corn to make it more digestable). The corn turned out great, and lime gave enough flavor that no one noticed the reduced butter and salt.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try the husk on the grill method. I've tried the aluminum method and it turns out great. I use butter, garlic salt, pepper & squirt lime juice right before serving.

I second Frank's comments. It would be one thing if Oval offered how he/she grilled corn and joined in the discussion. But to just diss the grilling suggestions and insinuate there's a better way without divulging is just rude and pointless.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try grilling with the husk left on. I've used aluminum foil also. I add butter, garlic salt, pepper, and squeeze some lime juice right before serving. I have to second what Frank said. It would be one thing if Oval actually shared grilling tips, but to just state that his/her method is better is rude and pointless.

Chonchko said...

I think Oval was insinuating, in a playful manner, that he probably puts the corn directly on the grill, which is another way to cook it. I didn't really find his comments rude in the least, as I don't think he meant to be negative or diss anyone or anything.

Grill master said...

Oval is spot on .There is no better way to get those nice carmalized dark spots than placing cobbs directly on the grill. No foil.no husk...I love
E my corn prepared this way

Grill master said...

Oval was spot on. There is no better way than to put corn directly onto grill.its great tasting and the carmalization is delicious. Thanks oval

Anonymous said...

I agree with Oval. Corn, out of the husk, directly on the grill.

Anonymous said...

So, using Oval's presumed method (he really doesn't say.) Do you place the naked ears on a hot or medium grill or directly on the coals? Do you coat with oil? Do you coat with butter? how do you best prevent drying out the kernels? Are there hints other than (don't do it the other way?)

Anonymous said...

I just put it right on the grill, is that what you do?

Anonymous said...

Directly on the grill, no husk or foil. Little bit of olive oil and paprika.

David Bay said...

Love it just brushed with a little light olive oil that has a few mixed herbs in it. A little bit blackened to bring out the flavor and its good to go.

Unknown said...

Awesome ideas! I usually just put it on the grill with butter and salt. But good to know of other ways to do it as well. Thanks for sharing!