Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Cooking for BSA Camp Family Night


Mini Ham Biscuits - Homemade Biscuits and Country Ham


Chilled Black Eyed Pea Salad


Quick and Easy Appetizer Tray

I was cooking up a storm this afternoon, since this is Family Night at Camp John J. Barnhardt. Every Wednesday during summer camp, the families visit the campers and bring home cooked food. After a couple of days eating camp food, the guys are always really happy to see Mom and the familes.

It's always hot in July when our boys go to Boy Scout camp. That makes it a bit of a challenge to come up with dishes that will travel and be OK in the heat. I have several coolers of various sizes and even a thermoelectric heater/cooler that plugs in the lighter in the truck.

It had been a while since I'd made country ham biscuits, and IGA had some center cut country ham from Frank Corriher. Since there's always so much food at camp on family night, I thought I'd just make mini biscuits. Instead of using the biscuit cutter, I used a juice glass. That worked out well. The empty bowl proved that.

A cold salad seemed like a good plan. I made some black eyed peas and then mixed up a salad and chilled it for a couple of hours - then put it in a cooler with ice. It's a really tasty salad. I added that to my side dishes recipe list at Yes You Can Grill.

By the time I made scratch biscuits and cooked up black eyed peas for the salad, I was pushing it close on the time. I have the acrylic Tupperware serving platter above that is always a quick way to put together something for a pot luck dinner. I just add whatever I have on hand. I always keep some dried beef in the cabinet. I made cream cheese beef roll ups for the center. My son loves black olives, so I opened a can of those. I rounded that out with hot sausages which I adore and some white cheddar cheese.

Then I ran by to get my Mom, and off to camp we went loaded down with lots of good food and ready to see our favorite camper.

No comments: